Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manually save Roaminf Profile over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefish

Programmer
Nov 19, 2003
GB
I have a linux server running Samba as the PDC and Wins server. Roaming profiles are enabled. Office LAN uses Win2K clients. Everything is happy with the domain.
One notebook PC occassionally gets diconnected from the LAN and needs to access it remotely. I have set up a VPN connection for this (FVS318 & Netscreen Remote) over a dial up connection.
I can happily logon to the domain over the VPN using DUN at the logon prompt (Netscreen is configured to connect automatically when the connection is up). All shares are available. Everthing is fine.
The problem comes when I log off. Normally at this point Windows saves the profile changes back to the server. However, it seems to be dropping the DUN or VPN connection as it logs off and before the profile is saved.
I could write a logon script to change the drive mappings for My Docs etc to point to the server. This seems like giving up, though.
Anyone have any ideas?
If I use the built-in Win2K VPN connection, does this problem still occur (I know that I can't use it with a dynamic Internet IP)?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back