Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manual uninstall of GPO deployed app 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPJeffery

Technical User
May 26, 2006
GB
Hi

I'm testing out some GPOs to deploy software. They worked.

When I added in a Security Group to control which PCs these GPOs will actually install to I manually deleted the applications to check the group memberships worked, then rebooted the test PC.

The startup dialogue now doesn't show the apps being installed.

Add/Remove Programs lists the applications but only, apparently, as installer packages. The apps don't appear in the Start Menu.

I've tried manually removing them again and running the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility (which found them then removed them) but the problem persists.

What do I need to do to leave the PC in such a state so that the GPOs will correctly re-apply?

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Will System Restore put things back to how they were?

Are you aware that the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility tool was withdrawn from service by Microsoft because of weird problems it was causing in Windows?

Does event viewer provide any clues why they are not being installed by the GPO? Does gpresult confirm that the software should be getting installed?

There have been occasions in situations like this where I have to manually install the software in order to manually uninstall it correctly, then redeploy through GPO.

@linney - Yeah, I did know that. I use it as a last resort anyway. Will look for a restore point but not optimistic.

@smah - Will check for these.

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back