Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manipulating recordset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

makjoshi

Programmer
May 30, 2001
JP
Hi All,
I got stucked as my Crystal Reports are taking too much time to display the data.I'm getting two recordsets from two different databases, which are directly set to the report. But as Crystal Report is doing all the searching ,matching and filtering of data, i.e. the repotrer engine is getting over burdened . To avoid this, i want to manipulate reocrdsets so that data going to Crystal should be specific.
Can i force realtionships on two different ADODB. recordsets. or How can i further process or manipulate the recordset. How i can go for filtering or sorting on it??
Your suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in Advance.
-Mak

Delegate the complex search and filter to the database.
1. Encapsulate that search and filter in a stored procedure. Pass the report parameters to the stored procedure and map the report with the stored procedure.
You should see big improvment.
2. Encapsulate the search and filter in view object and map the report with that view object. This is also big improvment.
If the amount of data to search is huge then use indexes for views or some thechniques to optimize the stored procedure, things that is hard to accomplish in Crystal Reports.
obislavu

Thanks obislavu,
Now i can not delegate this task to Database. The queries are already structured and cant modify now. I need to handle recordsets only.I need to impose relations on two recordsets. So which are the methods/properties of recordset that i can use.
Thanks for your post.
-Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back