Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manipulating Oracle Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

getjbb

MIS
Jun 4, 2003
US
Is it possible to change a where clause condition according to a parameter coming into a package.

The problem is that I have a proprietary package that cannot be changed. The package, currently, has a parameter called a_date that will need, eventually, handle a date range.

A date range will be entered via a User interface screen.

The where clause within this package has the following criteria to handle a_date:

AND (tran_date <= TRUNC(a_date) - 60)

but in order to handle the range it needs to be:

AND (tran_date between TRUNC(a_date1)and TRUNC(a_date2) - 60)

Is there some way of manipulating, using Oracle, the dates (from/to) coming from the User Interface to the proprietary package, to get the results I need.

As a reminder I cannot change the propritary package. It is only expecting a date.

Thanks.

getjbb

Getjbb,

I'm not certain what you are requesting...Are you asking if there is a way to change a proprietary package that allows for a single date to now allow for two dates?

If that is your question, then the only answer I can imagine is to request of someone with access to the proprietary code to alter the code.

If I misunderstood your question, then please re-state the question.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

What I want to know is if there is a way to create an Oracle wrapper to convert a date range to enable the proprietary package to use it according to accomodate the following where clause criteria;

The where clause within the package, currently, has the following criteria to handle a_date:

AND (tran_date <= TRUNC(a_date) - 60)

but in order to handle the range it needs to be:

AND (tran_date between TRUNC(a_date1)and TRUNC(a_date2) - 60)

The proprietary code cannot be changed due to cost and other code dependence upon it as is.

Thanks.

getjbb

Please pardon my thickheadedness, Getjbb, but if, as you say, "The where clause within the package..." behaves a certain way, then regardless of our ability to "create an Oracle wrapper" (which, yes, you can do), I don't see a way to change the proprietary package's where-clause behavior.

The problem with the package's WHERE clause is that it contains only "less-than-or-equal-to" logic...it cannot be enhanced to also contain "and greater-than-or-equal-to" logic or to use between logic.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back