Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manipulating files through ASP and saving them

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvbruwae

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
EU
Hi

I need users to be able to download one or more files from a webserver (usually .dot files, MS Word templates). Then they should modify them (the templates are used to make various requests to the administrators), save them, and send them back to the server. I've been testing file uploads with the posting acceptor, but I really don't know how to do THIS.

The templates are to be called with a button. Assigning the buttons to open an URL to the .dot files opens them in a new window. Then the users can modify them and save them back to the webserver. However, they shouldn't have the possibility to overwrite the original templates. Instead, they should be able to download a copy of the files they need to send (by selecting one or more buttons that call such a file), modify them as needed and then send them back to the webserver, together with the contents of a form.

I can't find a way to start programming this. Perhaps there's a way to have people change a copy of the files directly on the web server (so no file upload is needed)? If not, how can I force the .dot files to be sent back to the server as soon as the user closes them?

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

File downloading/uploading is a poorly handled issue in ASP. I you dont want to spend a week learning the programming of it then your best bet is to get on of the several ASP file components out there that will help you ALOT. I picked up one called ActiveFile and i have not had any problems since, the best part is that it took 15 minutes to program it and the component only cost 30$. So try that out.

well that stinks, it was only 30 a year ago, i guess it got popular. Anyway for some in depth programming on file manipulation in ASP check 4guysfromrolla.com or 15seconds.com or i acutually saw a recent post here that dealt with the issue. It is not so hard you wont be able to grasp it, im sure !

Luck,
JR

I was in the previous thread too, I think. File upload itself is not that hard, but dealing with files that need to be downloaded/changed/uploaded seems more challenging. And I will need this to work too. Thanks for your advice though, I've noticed several ASP tools around and it might be handy to know the good ones from the bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back