Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandriva and VMware install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jundalabee

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003

Hello
I am trying to install VMware server beta on Mandriva 2006.
I get to this point and get stuck
"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] "

I know I need the Kernel Source Package. But what is that, where do I get it and will the file location be /usr/src/linux/include????

Any help appreciated

the kernel source package is installed as optional and ussualy it comes with the install CDs. (i don't know mandriva, but so it RedHat/Fedora). Now, about the path, the kernel source is installed in [tt]/usr/src/kernel-version[/tt] and then a symbolic link is created as /usr/src/linux in order to be able to compile some 3rd package independently of the kernel version, so 3rd party source software points out to /usr/src/linux instead the version (it would be very limitating!).

When you install VMWare, it needs to compile the VMWare drivers at installation time, so the kernel source is needed.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back