Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mandrake with adsl is very slow ,what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi ,i'm a beginer in linux and i've seen that it is very slow with adsl conection,what should i do ?
Is there any patches to fix the problem? and if so,where can i get it?
thanx in advance

Good question man, I'm about to install Mandrake 9 with a view to getting ADSL and shring it to the other Win PC in the house.

I'm not at all sure how to do it.

here's how to do it. i tried two solutions before getting online over ADSL. once you get it you'll never look back... ;-)

Mandrake Linux is just about the most ADSL-friendly of all the Linux distros. but only if your local telephone company supports PPPoA (as opposed to PPPoE), so check with them first. if so, then you should think about buying an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem, as mandrake is the only Linux distro that has the drivers included with it.

there are loads of tutorials and projects on how to install this modem in Linux and it is the fastest and cheapest way of getting an ADSL connection.

Or...

You could get an ADSL router/gateway (i use a ZyXEL prestige 643) and connect both computers up to it. this solution is far more expensive but also more scaleable and reliable.

hope that helped. please let me know if i can be of any more assistance [pipe]

Thanks SaltyDuke,

I've got 2 machines that I want to share the ADSL to but I can't justify the router as I doubt very much if I willneed to scale up.

I'll show my noobness right now, but PPPoA is Point to Point Protocol o? A?

cheers for all that tho, champion!

Point To Point over ATM(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Versus Point To Point over Ethernet. Most PPPoE connections use a connecting software, the most popular is WinPOET used by earthlink, verizon, and i believe swbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back