Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 's grub Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

skycom

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
HK
hi, all

I have installed Mandrake 8.0 and Windows to my computer, and using Mandrake's grub to do multi-boot in my hard disk, but the default boot is linux, how can i set it to windows?

Thanks ^_^

skycom

Hi,

i don't use Mandrake, but installed GRUB several times with RedHat and Nt4.0. Unfortunately i have no GRUB-powered box at hand, so i try to recall - please check carefully with your installation.

GRUB installed its files into "/boot/grub", the ascii-file "menu.lst" being the default config-file at boot-time. If you have several options to select from, they are numbered starting at 0, regarding to the order they are listed in the file. In "menu.lst" there probably exists a line "default = 0", which you can easily change with your favourite editor (to read "default = 1" probably ;).

There is no need to activate this change like it is with LILO, so the next boot should work as desired.

ciao, mbr

i needed to change something in grub in mandrake once too.
i went into the menu.lst to add my own super kernel and all i got was some rubbish.
maybe it's compressed, i never tried.

but i think you can set grub boot stuff in the mandrake control center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back