Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake Installation Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumanzero

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
I first installed Mandrake last week without a problem. Everything worked perfectly. A few days later, I decided to add Fedora. It froze halfway through installation and corrupted stuff. I ended up having to delete the Mandrake partition. Each time that I've installed Mandrake since then, installation has been completely different. Instead of taking a while, it claims that installation is completely within about 30 minutes (all three disks and everything.) Sometimes, it even askes me for a fourth disk. And upon booting for the first time, there is always some kind of error. Usually it tells me it's trying to free kernel memory, or it will let me get to the login screen but not let my type anything for the password. Why will it not install correctly anymore? I've gone back and made sure that everything was the same as the first install.

The problem is: corrupted stuff.

When you installed Mandrake, did you partition the entire hard drive ??

You shouldn't have.

If you were planning to dual boot, you should have only partitioned the part of the drive for the install, and left the rest of the hard drive un-formatted.

Mandrake trys to take over the drive, and use everything it can for its' install, sounds to me like Fedora too.

You should have installed Mandrake only on part of the drive, and let Fedora partition its' own space.

You may have to do a re-install of both OSs, if you want dual booting, and let each OS partition what it needs.....

Gnasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back