Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake hangs on "finding module depend.." 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

morganize

Technical User
Aug 2, 2003
NZ
I have just installed Madrake Linux 9.1 on my slave HD (its about 3gig). On startup i get the boot option screen and Linux starts seting up but then hangs when it gets to "finding module dependencies" I have tried booting in the non grapical mode but it still hangs in the same place without giving any more detail.

I have Win98 on my other drive. I have an Athlon2000Xp and an ASUS A7N266-VM Motherboard.

I have searched through all the history and not found antything thant changes things (although I think others have had similar problems - just no answers!)

I dont think I am overlooking the obvious! Thank you in advance

- Morgan

I've the same mobo+cpu and face the same issue in my RedHat 8.0 -- but, if I unplug my Logitech Quickcam Express (USB webcam) and then boot the machine, things go fine.

Once logged into Linux, if I plug in the webcam, Linux just freezes and I have to hit the reset button.
Still haven't figured out why...

Yipee! I unplugged my USB printer and my system booted!!

Thank you arunksetti!

PS
Is your mobo's onboard sound working? Mine isnt so far.

You are welcome, Morgan!

After some serious Googling, I found this VERY GOOD suggestion at:
To quote the original author:
"there is a bios setting for legacy usb support that defaults to 'primary' in 1003 and 1005 (only ones i have tried). change that setting to 'disabled'"

I tried it last night and now my system boots with the webcam connected!! (I'm now trying to get a software to make it work -- I'll post with my findings)

As for the onboard sound, it has been working fine. Do take a look at "GUIDE TO INSTALLING REDHAT LINUX 7.3 ON NFORCE BASED SYSTEMS" by Venk@

Hope this helps!

--Arun

In Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 the sound levels are set to zero by default. Open up Aumix and crank up the volume and you'll have sound. I find it works best to set the levels to max and the use your speaker controls to set a comfort level.

JMcG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back