Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandatory Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushrick

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
I created a local profile. Configured it the way I want - desktop, start menu etc. I logged on as an admin and copied the profile to a share on my server. \\servername\profile$\folder. I changed the .dat to .man and configured 25 user profiles in AD to pull the profile from the server.

Here is the strange thing. When I log on to any computer with the original user I copied the profile from, everything looks proper. However, when I log onto the computer with a different user, the mandatory profile setting/configuration is not applied. When I check the User Accounts for the computer is says it is a mandatory profile.

My question is this - why, if both user accounts are accessing the same profile, does the "creater" of the profile have the desktop look correct, while any other user account doesn't have the proper desktop settings applied.

I did look at the Knowledge Base and search the web for causes but all explained how to configure this.

Any insight may be helpful.

Thanks,

Rick

Check the permissions on the .man profile, your other users may not have read access for the profile they are to use.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I checked the .man permissions, and the permissions set on all the contents of the folder, including the parent. All are the same.

The other users do pick the mandatory setting, but not the configuration which is the strange thing.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Although the permissions may "look" the same, they are not. The creator is the owner.

All the users of the mandatory profile need at least read & execute.

Q323368

John
MOSMWNMTK

I was reading over your post and i belive from what i can gather from reading that you are havinag it go to \\servername\profile$\folder to get the profile in wich case it will look for the name of the username they login for in that folder.. you have to tell it eather through active directory on each username to look for a specifit filename not just the folder. Or in that folder copy the profile you have created with each persons username so that it will load that one for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back