Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mandatory desktop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsfisko

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
GB
Hi all I have set up a new server to test with server 2000 and XP stations. I have set up group policys and that all works fine . My question is " How do I set a desk top for these users." I have XP on the station and have added the applications I require. Now how do I set them on the desk top ,so they cannot be removed, and will be available to the next user of the same group? I am really stuck with this bit. Once I can suss this out I can Ghost the stations and rollout the network. Cheers Guys n Gals

Couldn't you just copy the shortcuts you need to C:\Documents and settings\all users\desktop and make the folder read only so they couldn't delete any icons?

Thanks I have set up a share on the server and put the icon links in this and it seems to work.
If any one has any better ideas?

Create the shorcuts on all users desktops. This way they will show up for all users but only admins can delete them. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Thanks all, I have put a folder in docs and settings on each station with the shortcut I require for the desktop. (I called one Puser(pupils) and one Suser (staff) I then got the group policy to look there for the desktop. This has alowed me to have differnt desktops for staff and pupils and has also allowed me too have differnt desktops for computers in different rooms. Ie: Maths (mostly math programs) Library (Links to virtual cd roms for research etc)

I'm also trying this in a different situation but need to have different Teller desktops and Loan Officer Desktops at a bank. Can someone email me with what you guys are talking about because I don't really get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back