Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managment Port on Nortel Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellades

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
Anyone know how to configure a managment port on a Nortel switch?

Hello, in the switch main menu you will find an option Console/Comm Port Configuration... (If that is your question) After you´ve choosen this option you will see
anything like this:

Console/Comm Port Configuration

Comm Port Data Bits: 8 Data Bits
Comm Port Parity: No Parity
Comm Port Stop Bits: 1 Stop Bit
Console Port Speed: [ 9600 Baud ]

Here you´re able to toggle the port speed and nothing else. Make sure that your terminal have the same speed settings. In the same menu you will find options to configure inband connections (telnet. ) with passwords and anything else.

Hope i could help you. Be free to ask further questions.

Michael

I'm sorry, I didn't ask the question correctly. What I want to do is analyze packets for every port on the switch. When using a Cisco switch, I can specify a port as a "management" port for network monitoring.

How do I do this with a Nortel switch?

the buzz word for Nortel is port mirroring,

so as an example in a baystack 450 switch under switch configuration is port mirroring configuration, where you can specify about a dozen options I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

When reading through my documentation on my 450 switch I found that port mirroring will only allow me to mirror two ports to another port at a time. If you are actually using all of the bandwidth of your switch ports without having a higher speed on the mirrored port you will lose packets. This could be bad assuming you are mirroring the ports for use by an IDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back