Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing Win2k profiles and new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick46

Technical User
Sep 25, 2001
US
I administer a number of desktops running Win2k. We cannot use roaming profiles. Each desktop has multi profiles of up to 23 users spanned over 5 shifts in a week's time. Each user customizes his personal desktop. I cannot determine a logical way to replace a computer box and get it back to full function in a timely manner. I have tried copying each set of profiles info under 'Documents and Settings' and then restoring them to the new machine. Doesn't work. If I have copied a set of files for user "johndoe", the first time John Doe logs onto the new machine, it creates a new set of files under a directory called "johndoe.000". I cannot believe that there is not a utility to duplicate a set of profiles from one machine to another. In other words, I want to replace Computer A with new Computer B and have Computer B come up and function just like Computer A did, all close to transparent to the users. Help! I have 50 machines to do and this rebuilding each profile by the user is a drag! There has to be a way.

Hi Rick,

Why don't you just go right click on my computer/user profiles and use copy to.

To be honest though with that many profiles it's still a long job.

You don't say why you can't use roaming profiles - but can't you just set them to roaming for the migration and direct them to a box somewhere temporarily.

This would be much easier. Mind you there maybe some reason why you can't do that :)

Cheers

I looked at the "copy to" option under my computer/user profiles but although it allows you to copy a profile, there are no Help instructions anywhere that I can find that shows how to restore that profile on a new machine in a way that it works.

If you are using the exact same type hardware when you perform your replacement, you could use a disk cloning product, such as Norton's GHOST. This allows you to create an exact image of a disk, including files which were in use at the time the image was created.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back