Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing Static IP addressing centrally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespa61

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I'm running SBS 2000 and would like to a way to manage static IP addresses from the managment console on the server. (the inventory system is on a SCO based system and some desktop machines need static IPs to communicate w/the Unix server).

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

the best way is to "reserve" IP addresses for PCs (like for network printers) and still use DHCP...

alternately, dump the eunuchs and get a more virile O/S (puns intended)

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

If you are using DHCP server on the SBS then reserve IPs for those systems.

Paul

I have already set up DHCP and reserved a block of IPs for the 20 machines that need static IP. Right now we are making changes our system and I'm going to have to go to the office next door (I hate leaving the comfort of my cubicle) to manually change the addresses when everything is finalized on the unix side. It would also be cool to periodically check and ensure that when a problem arises that the IPs are correct from my machine.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

you can specify an IP per mac address in dhcpd.conf like so;

host hostname {
hardware ethernet 0a:1b:A4:EC:5C:9A;
fixed-address hostname;
}

The dhcp server should resolve the hostname from DNS and give that Ip address to the computer with MAC 0a:1b:A4:EC:5C:9A when it does a DHCP DISCOVER, alternatively if you have not setup dns, you can just replace hostname with your chosen static IP address.

then when you want to change the machines IP address, change the dhcpd.conf file, restart the dhcpd service (I think this needs to be done), and then ifdown && ifup to get the machine to pull its new IP address.

All from the comfort of your ssh session.

Cheers to you Tommy, this just made my job a easier and one less distraction (Everytime I walk into the other office I'm bombarded with questions like, "hey, my computer at home can't connect to or can't install AIM could you . . . ?" and I really do want to help them out, but there is only so much time in the day.)

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

Hey vespa61,

What's the name of your inventory system? Wouldn't happened to be called FACTS by aperum would it?

Inquiring Minds,

Social engineering, coupled with greed, is the easiest way to subvert any security!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back