Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

managing growing access DB for web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianbecker

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
I maintain 4 magazine websites that are asp/accessDB driven. Currently the db is 5 mb and grows 2 mb per month. I already had one incident of corruption and had to recreate the db and import the data to salvage. Our site has light traffic and speed hasn't been an issue yet. Anyone have advice on good habits for backup and maintenance to prevent corruption? Especially in regards to ensuring that updates tp DB via browser-based forms during maintenance are dealt with somehow.
Also I've heard that access starts having performance issues at 5mb and up. Is this true as I am at that threshold? I have been told that Fox Pro is more reliable and less expensive than SQL Server for the future when my db grows really big.

Everyone has an opinion but I think SQL Server is your better bet. SQL Server 7 and later is very stable. I find that the instability of a database application has more to do with the application code than the actual database. With SQL Server you have a lot better backup, restore, security and recovery features. Plus you can use stored procedures instead of queries and create all kinds of automated jobs for different tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back