Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing Collections on Central Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulters

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
US
Is there a way to prevent a Collection from flowing down to primary child sites from the Central server? I have several Collections to build, I know that I can manage the permissions on each collection, but I would like to prevent the child sites from even getting them or seeing them. Any help appreciated.

I dont think you can prevent them from flowing down, but you should be able to lock them up on the lower levels in your security settings, so no one other than a specified account/s can view them.

Thanks. We have the security settings set where no other site can view. I was hoping we could "hide" the collection itself (or block it) as to not have approx. 24 collections unnecessarily being seen by each site.

I suppose you could make a private collection folder and add all those other collections as sub folders that you want hidden in that one, thus they would only see the one folder in the lower site levels.

We created one Collection and added the other sites as sub-Collections, but you can still see them all, including the sub-collections. How do you make a "private collection folder". Not heard of that.

Your doing what I meant, I just added private, so you didnt have to add so many permissions down the line. (I couldnt think of a better word for it.) That said I've never tried to remove all/some rights except for my own from rights a collection....that might prevent it from flowing down, I dont really know. (proably would still need some so sms could write to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back