Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing ASP.Net Development Of Multiple Applications Within One Site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
I am starting to develop my first ASP.Net intranet to make code an eclectic set of application tasks
In one place instead of using lots of windows .exe’s that I keep having to install on users machines.

I am a little unsure of the mechanics of setting up a website with lots of different applications developed separately. I want to have a top level default.asp,a AD authentication web.config and a site master page with a navigation link to each separately developed asp.net application.
The user will navigate from the top level site to all the other applications my co-worker and I develop separately.

I have a top level project that will be the website.
It has the webconfig for ad authentication, a default page and a master page.
No problem there.

We will then want to develop a set of very separate applications. Can they be developed in their own new Visual Studio solutions ( File->New Web Site ) with their own default.asp, web.config etc and when ready to be deployed be simply copied into a subfolder of the top level project?. The top level project master page navigation menu data source I would then edit to have a navigation link to the subfolder and the default.asp.

I’d try this myself but I am travelling at the moment and am figuring this out from a book. My curiosity is killing me on how to go about developing this.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

you can have one web app inside another webb app, but configuration may be complicated, depence from your sites requiements...
internal website inherit configuration from parent website and you can ovewrite some settings in web.config, but it make web.config not like on developer computer in your scenario...
In our case why not set up one application with just very jeneric configuration and redirect page to "parent" app. and inside 2 apps on the same level in this case on developer computer you can develop 2 separate apps and just copy files on server whne ready.

Yes I agree. I have continued to look at this over the last few days and I have come to the conclusion that
one way or another, you always end up with one website project.

My method will be to have one large website project.

It will however have subfolders created in visual studio.

Each sub-folder will contain aspx pages relevant to that piece of work which I will treat as a seperate application.

The sub-folder will just be a means of grouping related pages together on the website rather than having one big website at one level with loads of pages for very different menu options.

I will have a web.config in each subfolder but it will be almost empty with just a few application key settings unique to the set of pages in the subfolder, everything else will be inherited from the root web.config.

When developing one of the 'applications' within the website the developerwill have a copy of the full website project but only woirk in the sub-folder relating to the 'application' he/she is working on.

The project will still however be update published as a whole when a subfolder application is ready to go live.
I agree though that XCOPY could be applied to the subfolder as long as it did not use any locally copied DLLs ( i.e. weakly named DLLs ).

My understanding is that any weakly named references (DLL's) for seperate sub-folder applications will be copied to the single /binn folder for the entire project at route level - not the sub-folder which makes sense if more than one application subfolder on the website will use it.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

Yes if you set root application "app" and set in root of app web.config with common settings for both internal application. Inside "subapp1" and "subapp2" applications with all pages and ect. Developer of app "subapp1" need top have on computer app folder with webconfig and subapp1 folder wit application he working on... he do not need to have subapp2....
about bun folder on root application it must be that way on development computer, otherwise asystem will not found your files...
or you have to configure server different from developers computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back