Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing ARCServe Servers (Diff Versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

varuna

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
Does anyone know if you can manage ARCServe servers via a NT Workstation or 2000 Pro system by just installing the ARCServe manager? Have I just answered my own question?

I have tried this ages ago and I failed. Also, to make things slightly more difficult, I want to control not only 2000 but 6.x servers as well in order to submit jobs remotely via scripts.

Any help appreciated.

V

No Pain No Gain

Manager can absolutely be installed elsewhere and can connect to the ARCserve server.

However judging by the fact that ARCserve 2000 and version 6.x have managers based on different technologies (AS2000 based on internet explorer GUI and v6.x based on an app GUI), I really doubt that you can view both of them.

may be wrong though. give it a go

g

Noted.

Tried.

Failed.

I can't seem to be able to see other ARCServe systems on the network. I can see the 6.x server but can't manage it (no surprise). I have checked the discovery svc is started and it is.

Anyway, I'm going to battle it now, any thoughts let me know.

Ta

V

No Pain No Gain

I am running the Arcserve 2000 manager on a Win 2k desktop and am able to manage both Arcserve 2000 and Arcserve 6.x servers (modify, add, delete jobs, etc).

I found that you have to install the full version (including server and all applicable service packs)to your desktop and then you can add multiple servers in as a group. Then you can view them one at a time or as a whole group.

Hope this helps!

Now then. I have installed AS2K again on my w/s (win2K pro sp2)

The arcserve account for the servers is the admin one (i know I know :))

I have set the admin acc for AS on my system to the same Administrator acc that we use on the servers. When I come to add servers into a group within the AS Manager it tells me that the credetials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

Can I give myself rights to the AS share on the server and it will let me in?

Obviously when I do get round to giving AS it's own account I won't be logging on with this so there must be something I am missing.

Any help appreciated.

V No Pain No Gain

HALT... STOP... HOLD EVERYTHING!

I think it is working now. I gave my account permissions to the AS share and it seems to work. Just to confirm for ARCServe Guru, you can manage both 6.x & 2K.

Thanks for the help boys.

V
No Pain No Gain

Heya Varuna,
I wouldn't of thought you could due to the different interfaces, but hey, can't argue wih results. I'm glad it's working for you. Response I got from support a while ago was that it's not supported and because of those reasons I gave below.

g

Well, you may be right in some respects Guru!

You can't do everything for a start, the central db stuff cannot be accessed (got a bit leg shaky when doing that -corruption Argh death pain etc...) and the Server admin layout is different so some features won't work. but if you wanna see all the jobs and submit new ones etc it's great!

It's probably because of certain incompatabilities that ca support don't recommend it, and I am sure their sales people will want to know why you haven't upgraded all your servers :)

Thanks for your help on this and other posts.

TTFN

V No Pain No Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back