Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manager acts as a DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

psmit

Vendor
Apr 22, 2005
NL
Working with version 4.2.4 I just discovered that the IPO manager applicatie responds to DHCP requests!.
I used Wireshark to confirm it.
As soon as I unmarked the Bootp/TFTP in the preferences the problem was gone.
It might have been in older versions too because the last few weeks we had strange problems with a number of PC's.
They were not able to login.

The manager should never offer DHCP because when you install an iPO as DHCP-server it will conflict.
Does someone know w solution?

Turn it off in the LAN1 and LAN2 settings, it defaults to off if it senses another DHCP server in the network!!

ACS - IP Office Implement

Hang on you mean the actual PC software not thi IP Office?

ACS - IP Office Implement

Are you using a Dell laptop?

I had a case with Tier IV, who couldn't replicate (despite our disti reporting the same issue)

They advised that this was some issue with Dell and didin't prgress it

My advise, turn of TFTP & BOOTP and use a third party TFTP server (which are more robust than Manager's built in one anyway)

If you need to use BOOTP (very rare occurence) then turn it on for that time and then turn it off again.

Our Windows DHCP server used to throw a wobble every now and again and I ran it down to this issue

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

I always use MV_IPTEL from avaya for TFTP, HTTP and HTTPS. it is very easy to set up and works great. If you install the watchdog it will always keep it self running as well.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I agree that you don't need bootp a lot, but dhcp offers shouldn't occur at all with the manager application.
I didn't notice it in earlier versions, except maybe in version 4.1.12.
If Tier IV is interested, i do have a capture of the DHCP proces.

Are you sure it if turned off on the ipoffice ?
Are you using SBS 2003 ?
The dhcp of the SBS server stops working when manager does a bootp request ?(it does not do a dhcp request)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I have had all kinds of issues when there is a SBS server on the network. we had VPN phones that would crash the server when they booted up.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

As a wrote before, i made a capture with wireshark and it was very clearly a dhcp offer to the dhcp request.
And yes it's a SBS 2003 server

Then manager is the one who does it
It is not a dhcp offer but a bootp offer !

There is a regedit for this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer\Parameters] "DisableRogueDetection"=dword:00000001

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

This can happen its an issue with the DHCP server thinking the bootp server in manager is the DHCP thats why turning off boot p fix's it.

Had this at a site

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back