Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

management vlan problem in 3com 3300 II 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwie

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
PL
Hi All

I configured my 3com 3300 II to use tagged vlans. This device is connected on uplink port with cisco 2950 switch.
All defined vlans works fine, for example when I configure port 2 as member of vlan id 100 tagging none and configure uplink port as member of vlan id 100 tagging 802.1q I can comunicate with all IP addresses on this vlan ( cisco and 3com ).
But when I configure an IP management address in 3com and configure uplink port as member of management vlan tagging 802.1q, I can't ping and can't manage this device via web browser.

Does anyone know what is the problem ? and how to configure this management IP address to work with tagged vlans?

You cannot change the Management VLAN of the 3300, it must always be VLAN 1.

I used to configure the Native VLAN on the Cisco end as the VLAN you wish to manage the 3Com 3300 on and leave the untagged VLAN on the 3Com end as VLAN 1.

For example I wish to use VLAN 10 to manage the 3Com 3300. This VLAN goes through the 2950 and then to the 3300 on an 802.1q tagged link:

!Cisco
interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
switchport trunk native vlan 10
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,100-110
!

Add the tagged vlans 100 thru 110 on the 3Com interface and leave the untagged VLAN as 1. Obviously from an IP perspective you need to make sure the 3300 is in the right subnet for VLAN 10 and has the right gateway....

Be careful if you have layer-2 loops in the network as STP may get confused as you are effectively mapping VLAN 10 on the Cisco site to VLAN 1 on the 3Com side.

HTH

Andy

Thanks for your advice

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back