Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

management book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyZ1

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
anyone have a recommendation on a good book to read about being, becoming, or just general info on management??

This is not an attempt to threadjack - sticking with the general topic of management:

I would love to have a book that outlines established methodologies for all areas of management

*Dreams of the Methodology Dictionary/Handbook*

Can anyone suggest a suitable book?

--Glen :)

Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

If you are looking for management theory read some articles on what motivates people( if you have access Academy of Management Review, Harvard Business Review). The key being if you understand what motivates the people you manage then you can effectively lead them in any setting. Alot of this falls into organizational behavior.

As rasanders said Drucker is good, but I like Deming as well.
Deming moves into statistical analysis of problem.

I also like Goldratt, again not so much people management but process management.

thank you all for your input...

Balance yourself and also read "The Dilbert
Principle" by Scott Adams. I am completely serious here. Remember that the Dilbert cartoons are drawn from real events he's been e-mailed from cube farms around the world.

He essentially teaches in reverse by showing examples of what not to do. Spend too much time exclusivley in books from the depths of academia and you risk becoming just another clueless management droid.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

I have read Richard Whitehead - Leading a Software Development Team which is a complete introduction, so might be a bit basic (not for me though!).

If a complete intro is what you need, this is really good in my opinion, it gives practical advice on the things that seem to 'come with experience' (as I'm sure they do).

I will have a look at the other book recommended here though, thank you very much for the advice.

thanks again for all the input,

What about project development and project management books.

I don't know aboutbooks but there is a lot of good software project management info and form templates at
[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

In the not so shameless plug department, my book dedicates a chapter to The Move to Management. It is not an in depth management book - just some theory and soft-skills you need to master before entering management. As far as project development, my longest chapter is titled Concept over Process and is a project development methodology I first wrote while a Senior Business Analyst for a large insurance company.

It was the chapter that was mostly favorably reviewed by more established managers and consultant - in fact, it has already been idenfied as another book Cisco Press wants me to write.

On to outside sources:
Drucker's good but often gets wordy and somewhat abstract.

Goldratt's the Goal is excellent because it addresses a big picture view of why you should do what you do.

The Ten Day MBA by Steven Silbiger is a book I picked up for $1 at a garage sale last year. It was pretty good at covering a broad set of management skills.

Winning The Talent Wars by Bruce Tulgan - another notable read in this area. He also wrote, Managing Generation X.

I hope this list is helpful.

Matthew Moran
Read my career blog at: Musings: Todo esta bien.. Todo esta divertido (it's all good, it's all fun)

Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People is a long-standing classic for good reason.

I heartily recommend Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Productivity, Quality, and Employee Satisfaction by William Byham and Jeff Cox.

It is a light read and presents a lot of good lessons on general management philosophy and skills. I reread it about once a year not only to refresh my mindset but also because it is entertaining!

Enjoy!

Ever onward,
jar

Koontz & O'Donnel - a little dry; a little dated. But neutral basic management textbook covering all areas.

I have not read the book myself, but have only heard good stuff about it. Get the book by the CEO who turned Continental Airlines around.

These are some management books I have used in the past.
Very good material.
Winning by Jack Welch
101 Biggest Mistakes Managers Make and How to Avoid Them -- by Mary Albright
Management (8th Edition) -- by Stephen P. Robbins
The First-Time Manager -- by Loren B. Belker

Amazon has some good deals on some of these.

Winning by Jack Welch is my personal fav...great leader..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back