Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managed PoE switch or cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
US
I am proposing an IPO solution for a bank with three locations. There will be fewer than 10 IP phones at each location. They want Hotdesking between the sites.

I thought about using 3 Extreme Summit 300 switches but that is about $5000 more expensive than using something like Netgear PoE switches.

QoS will be done at the edge with Cisco 1720 routers.

I have a hard time justifying the extra cost for managed switches at such small sites.

I may be better off with midspan power?

just use the netgear stuff

Thanks tlpeter but after further review I have decided to go with mid-span. This way it is an all Avaya solution so if there are problems I can put it all back on Avaya. The price is comparable to the Netgear switches.

This is just a proposal so the actual installation may change once I know more.

i am sure it is better quality :)

The Avaya 1151B and 1151C power supplies stink. We have sent several (20+) back to Avaya. Some are DoA and die after a few weeks.
We use the Netgear PRO series PoE managed switches and they work great.

We had some bad experience with NetGear PoE switches. One model, a 24 PoE ports + 24 regular ports switch, would reset every time Manager tried to read the configuration and every time we installed Phone Manager. It seemed to be allergic to the broadcast messages these programs send.

Another model, a 12 PoE ports + 12 regular ports switch had no connection between the two halves, we had to use one port of each type to connect between them.

I've seen the NetGear switches split when you do VLANing (that was on a 48-porter), which sucks and defeats the purpose I think, but it is what it is. :)

Kris G.

Hi there

i use Dlink , there fine and cheapo , and a good service i must say, had some problems , but all were fixed fast !

I would like to warn you, there are different POE possibiltys, there are different kind of poe protocols, with different voltages , so please think before you order..

We have also a 3com running with 15+ phones 4620 , but it was way more cotly then the dlinks, the dlinks run with 8 or 16 phones (also 4620) (Dlinks should go for approx 300 euries for anyone, so you know how much they should cost you)

hope to have helped ya !

Superguppie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back