Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managed folders change in SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
A contractor upgrading our 2x CAS and 2x MBX servers from SP1 to SP2 a few months ago and all has been, and still is, working fine.

I have a user who's Deleted Items is not being deleted every 7 days as has always been the case. It appears others are being deleted correctly, including my mailbox. So I started to investigate and I was looking for the 'Managed Folder' setting and couldn't find it. I've only worked with it briefly before so couldn't remember exactly where it was so I looked everywhere but it just wasn't there. Googling appears to show that this has changed substantially in SP2 and now uses things called 'Retention Policy Tags' and 'Retention Policies'. Then there's a function called 'Port Managed Folder' to import the settings from an old Managed Folder to Retention Policy Tags. That's no so bad but the only way I can see of applying such settings is to individual mailboxes (Retention Policies/Properties/Mailboxes) which means I'd need to apply it to several thousand mailboxes individually. I'm sure the Managed Folder policy could be applied to a database in it's entirety. Even if it is applied to individuals, in the current policy properties it doesn't list any mailboxes that have it applied to so I can't see how mailboxes are deleting their Deleted Items.

Any thoughts/advice on this?

Sorry, I believe it was updated from no SP to SP2. I've found that the GUI had the Managed Folders section removed in SP1.

What is the best way to manage folders now? Does it need to be done from command line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back