Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manage non-IP devices !!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamsalah

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
EG
Dear All
I need you to advice me ...

I am a Java developer and I am involved in a project to manage microwave links

The M.W. links are connected to a Proxy Agent that translate between the MW Serial protocol and the SNMP protocol.

The managment base station is running OV NNM.

I have to build a customized solution to manage those M.W links using OV NNM.

I have been reading a lot of manuals ... I am losing the start point and schedule is beeing delayed

I think that I don't have the enough information ... So please help me and advice

Thanks

Hi esamsalah,

Which bit of this task do you need to talk about?

In general though: If you can build a script or program (Perl script I would suggest) to run on your proxy and collect the information from the serial connection you can then generate traps from within that script.

Mike

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

It's like this; even samurai have teddy bears, and even teddy bears get drunk.

Dear Mike

Thanks for your response
The proxy agent automatically generate traps, it also ships with a MIB file that I have loaded into OV NNM

The problem is :
I need to make the symbol of the proxy act as clickable object; and when it is clicked a new window appears with the MicroWave link schematic diagram on it

Then ; I need to show some alarms on that diagram; the MIB file describes some parameters that could be read using snmp gets/walks

So:
1 – How could I make a symbol clickable?
2 – How to Show a new window with a background image?
3 – How to Show on the image some sort of LEDs or indications using values retrieved from snmp get/walk?

Looks as if you've solved the part of the problem I could help with.

In your position I would be talking with the people who sold you the proxy agent and the MIB.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mike

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

It's like this; even samurai have teddy bears, and even teddy bears get drunk.

I am a tester not a programer but I know it can be done. We have a program that integrates into HPOV that does this. The clickable icon opens a web gui that gives you the data.

Good luck

Dan

I am certainly no expert but here are some guesses based on the little experience I have.

We have a similar situation, and here is what we did:
1) we wrote our own proxy agents in C++ and they run as NT services at remote computers, collecting sensor status from a serial controlled device. (We developed the MIB ourselves using SNMP Researches Emanate). -- Sounds like you already have a MIB and proxy agent done.
2) When we received a trap, we configured an action with it that would start a perl script. The perl script would figure out which symbol on the map to set and then send that symbol a "severity" level so it would change color.
3) Later, we replaced the perl script with our own C++ NT service that interfaced via the HPOV API (using the sdk). That let us be even smarter about changing colors, and initiating polls.

So for the fastest solution, look at how you might modify and use the existing perl script called "tbd". For the best long term solution, write a Java program that uses the API.

To make an icon "clickable":
*you could just put a submap under it and populate it with a BMP for the background then some symbols in the appropriate places. See above for changing symbol colors.
*you could add a context menu option that would launch a separate Java program. The Java program could have a GUI that had the background and "LEDs" you want. The Java program could do SNMP gets to correctly update the "LEDs". Of course, this means knowing how to program SNMP.

-- if you are really desperate and you are spending other people's money, you can hire a consultant for about 10k a week to do the perl script and HPOV configuration.

-- see the manual for how to create and register your own symbols and how to add context sensitive menu options.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back