Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.MAN profile / Logon & Logoff script issues with AD in Server 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
Okay, so I've only fought with this for roughly two days now.

I just did a bunch of updates, and set all the local computer profiles from ".DAT" to ".MAN"

For some reason, some of these, some how changed back to ".DAT"

Also, I changed permissions to the Desktop so that users CAN NOT save/edit/delete items on the Desktop. For same reason, again, this change has become undone on some of the computers.

HOW can I PROPERLY add a ".MAN" profile for the users to load when logging in. I've already tried it, and it IS NOT working! Wallpapers (R-click, set as wallpaper) are still staying after restart. And anything saved to the desktop (pictures, text documents) are still there, even after running a log on script to "ECHO Y | DEL C:\"Documents and Settings"\(user)\Desktop\*.* /s /q" and if ran from the desktop of the Admin user, works fine, but when ran as a log on/off script, DOES NOT WORK!

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to make the staff's lives w/ these public computers easier!

Figured it out.

1) Log into a local machine, as user you want to create a Mandatory profile for.
2) Log out
3) Log back in as local admin
4) Copy the users profile from "Documents and Settings" that you would like to make Mandatory
5) Create a shared folder on local DC, and place the copied profile here
6) Change the NTuser.DAT to NTuser.MAN (if anything special, set permissions at this time)
7) Find the user you'd like the profile to load for >>>>>\\(Server Name here\(Folder Share name here)\(profile folder name here <<<<<
8) Relax and enjoy!

There's some detail I skipped over, but if you're messing with Mandatory profiles, I'm sure you know the small details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back