Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

malwarebytes saved my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I've been having problems on my laptop for about 10days. I've been checking tek-tips for solutions and in one of the searches on "router not connecting" threads it was mentioned about

and I downloaded and ran "malwarebytes anti-malware" software

and it fixed all the problems. There were 17 malwares listed. Spybot did not catch them.

The only thing it did when finished scanning was to freeze my laptop. I powered down and rebooted and all was great!

I also have been having trouble with "TidyNet . . . " can't remember the rest of the name but if you go on facebook or shopping sites you probably have seen the pop-up when your cursor goes over a link in the text of any messages.

After running the anti-malware program I went into control panel, add/remove (uninstall on Win 8), and removed TidyNet?

And another problem I ran into was when I downloaded Spybot. With it was an add-on called "TeaTimer", which I thought was part of Spybot program but it's not. It is a memory hog and it sets itself in to "protect" your settings. I got rid of this too.

This all happened to me and this is what I did to fix my laptop. No guarantees it will do the same for you. But if nothing else is working these steps might help.

No replies necessary. Good luck if you use these steps.

Does this nullify your other post? I would run some additional software though. Don't just blow this off. Just like Spybot didn't find things, MBAM doesn't catch everything either.
Tea timer IS definitely part of Spybot. I guarantee it.

CCleaner - clean out temp files.
RKill - kills any active malware processes
TDSSKiller - searches for rootkits and other nasties
Rogue Killer - searches for rootkits and other nasties

If you have other weird occurrences, there is other software

Clean Sources:

Teatimer is in fact as Goom says, part of Spybot, Here is the page from their FAQ detailing what it does, and how it helps to protect you. I also would at the very least run Ccleaner registry fix, as it does about the best job out there for free or paid at keeping the registry in good working order and deleting unused and left over pieces of software or malware.

Thanks all. It worked on my laptop but creamed my desktop. Going to store now to buy new desktop.

And I will try the ccleaner.

Which product creamed your laptop?
Care to share in what manner it is damaged.
Buying a new machine is too impulsive at this point. I wouldn't buy anything yet. We can help you to get it working.

goombawaho in regards to your last reply malwarebytes anti-malware program used up all the memory on my OLD desktop. No matter what I did, like cleaning out windows temp directory, ran clean disk, etc., rebooted, the pc froze because of no memory left.

What I did was get my boot disk (floppy) and tried to go in that way to remove program but that didn't work. I used my OS cd and booted with it then cleaned out the program. I also went through and removed other programs that were old or unused and anything I recently downloaded. Rebooted. That took care of the freezes.

It was those programs, namely anti-malware, teatimer, and one called tidynet something or other, in setting themselves up to "protect" my OLD desktop and running in the background, used up all memory.

Anyway, thanks all for your help and tips. No more replies are necessary. Especially you goombawaho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back