Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Virtual Users in PROFTPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomforce

Technical User
Jan 6, 2002
CA
Hey, I want to be able to give friends access to just one folder on my server via ftp, I tried to just make a new user/password in linux then use that user to connect, and it works, but the problem is they can go around and see all the files on my server, although they can't edit them. Is there someway to make it so they can only see one folder and change whats in that folder? Maybe I am using the wrong program?

I am using a pretty baqsic setup, Mandrake 8.? with Webmin and Proftpd.. Thanks in advance for your help!

Use the DefaultRoot directive.

DefaultRoot /some_dir

Also, start your proftpd.conf file with something like this...

<Limit ALL>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says &quot;Mark this post as a helpful/expert post&quot;.

You also might want to add something like this...

<Limit READ DIRS>
DenyGroup !groupA
</Limit>

<Limit WRITE>
DenyGroup !groupB
</Limit>

Put users who you want to be able to read directories in the 'groupA' group, and if you want them to be able to write, then put them in the 'groupB' group.

The ! symbol, means NOT.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says &quot;Mark this post as a helpful/expert post&quot;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back