Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making the background transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativepart

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
Someone sent me a logo in EPS format. When I open it in Illus 10 I get each part of the logo just as you'd expect. However, when I save the logo to an EPS, the logo "bug" has a white background with the rest of the logo transparent.

Now, when I go back to the AI file, and pull apart the various parts that make up the logo, if find that the bug has three "layers". Two of the 3 layers have a white background, and I can't select the graphics inside these layers just the box that contains the graphic with a white background.

Is there any way I can change the selection box on these two layers and make the background transparent? Of did who ever make these grpahics bring them into Illustrator from somewhere else as a whole piece... graphic and white background?

Thanks
Paul Green

Check the 'Links' palette. If those items with white backgrounds appear here, then they've been imported from somewhere else. You can draw a clipping mask to make them transparent, but it takes a bit of manual effort. Draw a path around the graphic outline, select both the path and the graphic, Object > Clipping Mask > Make. You could also try out a few settings in the Transparency palette, but you'll risk having some compatability issues.

Thanks I'll give that a try. If all else fails, I'll just put those to layers in Photoshop and delete the background and then bring them back into Illustrator.

Thanks again,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back