Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making my website the viewer's default homepage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crayoncrayon

Programmer
May 12, 2002
CA
Hi, I'd like to ask how I can make a link or button, that allows viewers to set my website as their browser's default homepage. Can I do this in Dreamweaver, or does it require a Javascript? I've seen some websites with popup windows that ask if you want to set the current page as your browser's default page, how do I do that? Thanks in advance :)

Crayon

Wullie, just a quick question if you don't mind. Does this work for all browsers. I only have IE6 on my machine at the moment so can't test.

Thanks

Mighty

Does that set the page as the Homepage or simply add to the favourites list?

If it's the homepage, it's a bit evil isn't it? Unless you explicitly tell the user that's going to happen.

If it adds to the favourites, I'm not sure if it's necessary. I mean wouldn't most users know how to add a favourite?

Each to their own I guess.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Wow, 3 year old thread. [smile]

The Add To Favorites Part should actually say "Make This Your Homepage" or similar, however it isn't really evil because the browser will prompt the user and they need to accept before anything happens.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back