Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making my VB6 App Thin Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieMan

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
GB
Is there an easy way of modifying my current VB6 application (with SQL Server 7/2000 database) into something that can be run through a web browser or something similar?

I've tried the Citrix Server/Client solution, but the expense seems to scare people off (when compounded with SQL Server licences).

Is there a free Citrix Server/Client type of system I can use or a simple way to convert existing VB code into a web-based language.

Sorry if I'm being vague, but I know very little about Java, HTML, XML etc...

Thanks

Pieman

The initial cost of Citrix is alot but the savings in hardware upgrades and administration are much greater. :)

Citrix Rocks

chadt@techtnologies.com

Citrix....

Okay I'll sound like a newb here but, what is Citrix, and good sites that I could use to read up on it. Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

Remember not to name the Lambs...
It only makes the chops harder to swallow

Is basically a glorified workstation that runs on top of Win2000 Server on the server. The workstations consist basically of just a motherboard as all the processing is done on the Citrix box. This allows for outstanding remote access even over a dial-up connection. We even had some CAD guys working over a ISDN line and they get good response as just screen shots are sent back.
From a administration point of view.....if you want to remove a program from everyones workstation you just remove it from the Citrix box and your done.

chadt@techtnologies.com

>as just screen shots are sent back

It's little bit more sophisticated than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back