Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making my dos partiton bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcenglish

MIS
Mar 30, 2000
GB
Hi <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I recently tried out some free software which seems to have made my dos partition too small. I do not have the windows 98 disk to reload,&nbsp;&nbsp;so i was wondering if there is any way i can increase my partiton size without having to reload windows or lose my data.

As far as I know you cannot re-adjust your partition size without losing your contents of the Hard drive.<br><br>My question to you is did you run this piece of software while you were in win98 because i find it very strange that a system will allow itself to make these changes via the win98 software without losing data <br><br><br>Sorry I couldn't have been any more help.<br>

Look into a product like Partion Magic which can resize your partitions without losing data.<br><br>What is your partition scheme?<br>

if its Fat16 you can only get upto 2.1 Gigs, but using a tool like Partition Magic 5(like dxd mentioned) you can convert it to Fat32(which is limited to 8 gigs, but they got Fat32X which is automatic when it goes beyound 8gigs, dont ask me, I'm still rather unclear about it)<br>basically, just changing to Fat32(if it isnt already, since you are using win98 chances are it is), then just Resize it, very easy in PQMagic(just be sure to do backup, and run scandisk on your drive to ensure that no errors will be hit, also you can check for errors in PQmagic itself, which sometimes finds, and advises on possible errors not found in scandisk) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Partition Magic can increase a partition size but only if there is unpartitioned space on a disk. Dcenglish didn't mention the name of the &quot;free&quot; software he installed but I'm tending to think that it may have hidden part of an active partition.<br><br>Dcenglish would benefit by providing a clearer description of his situation. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Alt255, I totally agree.<br><br>It is all too often we see less than what is necessary to help troubleshoot an issue. We base our suggestions on what we think might be the issue and hope that it is helpful or at least on the right path.<br><br>The problem posed here really does not make sense.<br><br>Also, from your comments, what kind of utility can you use to hide &quot;part of an active partition&quot;? I am unaware of any tool like this but would be interested in looking at it.<br><br>thx<br><br>dxd<br>

I know of hiding any partitions, but how would it be possible to hide *part* of a partition. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

By decreasing the size of an existing partition and creating a new, hidden partition. That's one way. I own (but haven't tried) a product that does exactly that. Called HDD Sheriff.<br><br>Hiding a partition is incredibly easy. Hiding a portion of a partition is only slightly more complicated. Karl, I'll send you some source code you can play with if you're interested (and have a spare HD you don't mind fdisking every time you go OOPS! Been there many times. This isn't the sort of thing they teach you in school.)<br><br>I'm slightly off thread here. I'd be interested to learn what fdisk reports to Dcenglish. Does it show unpartitioned space? Dxd is on the mark about missing information. We can only speculate on an answer when we have only heard part of the question.<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

I know of hiding a partition, but hiding &quot;part&quot; of a partition? (not &quot;part&quot; of a drive) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Oops. I guess I didn't state that correctly. A partition is a list of parameters defined in a partition record. I was really talking about a <i>drive</i>.<br><br>My mistake. Anyway, my offer of source code to hide portions of the logical characteristics of a drive stands.<br><br>Unless dcenglish can provide more details, we should consider this a dead thread. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back