Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making money from home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

THoey

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2000
US
All,

I have been in the industry for over ten years, mostly with the USAF, but now in the civilian world. My specialty seems to be databases, any where from MS Access to Oracle, but I have done other development and system administration.

Although I make pretty decent money for where I live, I still find myself paying for being young and stupid several years back (now, I am no longer young). I have thought of taking a second job, but seem to already spend more than enough time away from home and loved ones as it is.

I keep thinking that there has to be something I can do from home on my PC to pull in some extra cash. I've looked on the web and found several "Get Rich Quick" scams. Most of them requiring three to four hundred up front for training videos. A little more research usually shows that those companies are already being sued in one or more states for one reason or another.

I guess my question is, has anyone started up a small from home business and how did that work out? Or maybe you found a way to work for a company part time (not going to give up my day job) from home. Any web sites that anyone could offer that provide links to "Honest" jobs?

Let me know what you think... [sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

That depends, are you looking to work with almost anything at home? or is there some technical background involved, who knows you might be able to go freelance (but usally requires you meet face to face with most of the people). I used to teach programming and make some programs from home on my spare time, it wasnt a living cash flow, but I got a few bucks here and there. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

That's pretty much what I am looking for. A couple weeks of work at a time, some extra money for bills or to stock the beer fridge with.

I have looked at everything from stuffing envelopes, to creating small DB apps for people to track their CD's with. I don't want to make phone calls, and I don't want to have to get my friends to buy something to make money.

Thought about maybe creating a web site, registering it and offering a web hunting service. Somebody comes there and says they need to find links or information on duck billed platypus's or a good price on a 10 GB drive. I spend an hour searching for them, email them the results and they pay me. I get extra cash and they don't have to wander through 1000 useless links. Sorta Ask Jeeves but in person. Dunno.
[sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

My cousin has been a unix admin for about ten years now. He took his expertise in setting up unix boxes that run webservers. He started a small business about a year or two ago. Basically he hosts outdoor type websites, mostly fishing and hunting. He started out with about ten or so sites at $50 CAD per month and now he has about 50 sites now and he can't go any higer (bandwidth limitations). As far as I am concerned that is what is called the ultimate home business. He basically just has to maintain things which he does **cough**cough** sometimes from his regular job work. BTW, his wife also does webwork for some of the sites.

I am thinking of doing this myself when my life gets settled a bit more.....

Just my 2 cents.....

[sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Working from home is not easy! I'm an architectural designer working from home on and off for the past 15 years and I'm 63! I'm presently in the OFF stage having had to sign on yet again for Income Support. I've applied for hundreds of contracts but no one wants you at my age despite the fact I reckon I have more knowledge and experience in my little finger than most.

I presently provide architectural designs and visualisations in AutoCAD and 3ds viz but it wasn't always the case. I was once a nuclear physicist, a satellite and station designer, a research physicist and part designer of the car that beat the land speed record but here I am sitting on the waste heap wondering how with no money I can pay my last tax bill.

Is young beautiful?

Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back