Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Inserts Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmaria

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
US
I have a huge query which used to insert data into a table. If I run that query, it runs faster but my inserts are running longer around 45 minutes for a 4mill records. I do not have any indexes or cluster or any uniqueness defined on this table. Just a table with bunch of columns.

How do I make my inserts faster?

TIA

Thanks Denis.
Yes, we do have 10 % autogrow. It has around 20 columns.
Though I know which gives me a unique row but we have not set any primary key or cluster at this point. I want my initial load to run faster.

TIA

What else makes an insert faster? Please pass some ideas.

It sounds like you are using a standard sql insert statement.

Have you looked into BULK INSERT or BCP?

Also. Index's will slow things down. If you have lots of index's on this table, you need to add 1 row per index for each row in the table. Sometimes it is faster to drop the index's first then import and rebuild the index's.

Are the inserts being checked against a primary key in another table? I.E. does your destination table contain foreign keys or check constraints?

Disabling these might help. You can always renable them later.

Rob

When you transfer a lot of data you can sometimes get better performance by increasing the packet size

lookup network packet size Option in BOL

This might not be applicable to your situation, it is just something you might want to take a look at

Denis The SQL Menace
--------------------
SQL Server Code,Tips and Tricks, Performance Tuning
SQLBlog.com, Google Interview Questions

Are you sure there are no triggers on the table. Sometimes it is a badly written trigger that slows down the process. Also inserts of large records coming from files are often faster if you put the file on the same server as the SQL server to avoid having to send the file data across network lines during the insert.

Also how are you inserting the records? You aren;t using a a cursors are you? If the data is being inserted from an exisitng data elsewhere in your database, please show us the code you are using to perform the insert.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Hi,

This is the steps which I recommend.

-Configure database size to avoid auto expansion
-Create flat file of target data
-Insert flat file with BULK INSERT

Koichi
(SQLServer & Cognos Tips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor