Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making ide hard drive hot swappable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy7386

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
GB
I have just bought a genica "hot swap" removeable hard drive caddy for my system which works no problem but the "hot swap" feature only works on windows 98 something to do with disc cacheing i think? Does anyone know a way round this in winxp?

Use Device Manager to "uninstall" before disconnecting. Once you have reconnected a new drive, use DM to "Rescan for hardware changes".

Caution if this drive is your boot drive....a data drive will be compat with hot swap but not the boot drive as a single.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

no rvnguy its not the boot drive its the one out of my ps2 but thanks anyway

got caddy to disconnect using device manager but when i put it back in and turn caddy on before i have time to refresh device list my pc just hangs??

I know what you're saying Steve :); I've only done it with bare drives (scores of times with dozens of drives in Win2K and XP) but not via a caddy (during the last six years, at least).

Sorry Jimmy, unless your caddy is solo on its' own channel, I'm out of ideas ...

I also use these same genica ['hot' intentionally removed] swappable trays for changing my primary master (boot) drive. I have several different operating systems/beta software that I use for testing using these trays, but the system needs to be shut down before changing. The connector between the mount & tray is a traditional 80 pin SCSI SCA connector, but this does not make the IDE drive a SCSI hot-swappable drive. If you really want hot-swappable capabilities, look into SCSI drives. But even these SCSI drives are only intended to be hot swappable as a member of a RAID array.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back