Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making backups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Build 7100. I started to do a system backup, just to see how the native back-up works. Found that I didn't have enough DVDs to use, so I canceled it. Now, I can's get rid of the job! Every time I Boot up, I get a "bubble" that I have "Files waiting to be backed up". I cancel, but it keeps coming back. Is there any way to get rid of this job? It is not listed in "Scheduled Events". Where do I find it?

See if you can play around with any of these suggestions.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup

This offers you the option to reset the backup configuration back to default via the Registry.

How to Reset the Backup Files Configuration in Windows 7

How to reset Windows Vista "Complete PC Backup"

Vista's 'Backup Computer' feature

How to remove backups created by Windows Server Backup

Linney:
That is to reset after a backup has been made. I haven't made a backup, so my registry is still at : (default)... (value not set).

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't want to do all that (System Restore). This happened 2 weeks or so ago, and there would be too much to reinstall. In 2 weeks I'm going to wipe the HD, and install the Win 7 release. I was just hoping that someone had run into this, and I would know what to do in the future. I guess that in the future - I'll be more careful!!! (how else we gonna' learn?)

I already use Acronis 9. I was just trying to get familiar with all the parts of Win 7. Now I can't get rid of that stupid notice! I'll just be sure I never use it again!!!

O.K. I went to services - disabled Backup - and shut down the computer. Cold start to be sure. Started the computer, and the bubble message is still there!!! ("You have files waiting to be burned to disk")!

So, nothing in the registry, nothing scheduled, and "Backup" disabled (both WBENGINE and Windows Backup)! And it's still there, like Jason!!!

They are from Backup and not CD or DVD Burning software?

Have you got anything in this Hidden folder?

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\ Temporary Burn Folder

Thanks Linney, that did it! I even re-enabled backup services, and the message is gone. Now I know what to do in the future!!! (use my Acronis!)

tlcscousin" supplied a nice link about this matter too.

The backup function work very well for me
I have done 5 different pc's right after install and again after installing office 2007
I also did a backup to multiple DVD's and went very well too

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

tlpeter",

I am glad that you have no problems with your backups. We only hear from people with problems, and unfortunately there are quite a few of these people.

Backing up is only half the problem, the other half of the problem is successfully restoring any such Backup.

If it works for you then stick with it.

Linney, i wil ltry a restore if i have the time

I rather would have made a ghost image but that is not possible anymore

Or perhaps i do not know it is possible ?

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

micker377 said:
"You have files waiting to be burned to disk"

I realize the issue has already been resolved - I just now saw the thread.

I wanted to add a point of interest. This has been an issue at least since Windows XP. It's not just the backup process. I've seen it on several PCs when I was helping someone with various other issues, and would notice this in the mean time. This occurs when you use Windows Explorer to burn the disks rather than a third party app such as Nero or Roxio.

All I've usually had to do was click on the bubble/reminder, and tell it to delet all the files, since they were temp files anyhow.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back