Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making a scrolling viewport 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEclipse

Programmer
Dec 27, 1999
US
does anybody know how I might make a dhtml-style scrolling viewport with flash?

what I want is to be able to have some content and the be able to push up or down buttons to reveal more content....

kind of like what is used at

Robert Carpenter
questions? comments? thanks? email me!
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

AIM & MSN: robacarp

Could be wrong, but don't think that can be done in Flash!

Regards,
new.gif

hhmm
I went to the link you posted. All of that can be done in flash. I sent you a email with a source fla I made that will hopefully help you out.

defkon2012

defkon2012-

thanks for the email....but I've got some problems. the .fla file you sent me wont run in my flash (Flash 4 for PC) and also, the .swf movie just plain dosn't work, but I can atleast view it. with the .fla, I get an unexpected file format error
Robert Carpenter
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

ok, after thinking, I figured out 3/4 of it. here is what I got:

*-I got the text to scroll up
*-I got the text to jump up (like all the way to the bottom)
*-I got the text to jump down (like all the way to the top)

what I can't figure out is how to make the text scroll down.

here is how I did it:

first I created a movie clip that is just a symbol that has text in it floating upwards, behind a 'mask'. The movie is 85 frames long, and I have stops at the start and end to keep it from playing until told to. I also created the up and down arrows.

the actionscript for the up arrow is (where viewport is the name of the movie clip):

On (Press)
Begin Tell Target ("/viewport")
Play
End Tell Target
End On
On (Release)
Begin Tell Target ("/viewport")
Stop
End Tell Target
End On

but I dont have the slightest idea on how to get the movie to play backwards...except with a loop to count down the frames. would that be the most efficant way to do it? Robert Carpenter
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

Didn't think you were talking about the simple scroll up & down text! That's easy enough!
Thought you were talking about the expanding window box on the bottom right, which resizes the dynamic text box to ajust to the new sized window, and thus changing the scroll values also. THAT, I figure can't be done in Flash!

A lot of tutorials out there among which this one for Flash 4:

Regards,
new.gif

def-

thanks, that helped abunch! Robert Carpenter
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search