Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a laser in bryce

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspyr0

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
US
I am trying to make a laser line in Bryce. What I've done so far is used a normal parallel light, then made one dimension very thin. I put the intensity all the way up, very little edge softness, no shadows, uniform dark red, and use gel. My problem is that the light breaks in many places, whereas I need an unwaivering laser line. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I haven't done this very much, but have you made your light source's attributes positive? Just a shot in the dark. Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

It hadn't even occurred to me to mess with those options. I made the laser positive, but it changed nothing. Some other things I tried were making it negative and the object it's shining on positive then grouping - that actually made a slice in the object to my surprise (I didn't know you could do that with lights), but even then the slice was not complete - it had those breaks in it. Thanks for the idea though Jay. The object the laser is pointed on (it's a hollowed out box with about 20 spheres filling it) is using a very simple texture (or lacktherof) so I'm sure it's not being reflected or anything. Perhaps Bryce has these breaks built into the light because it looks more realistic...

hmm....try using the forums at It's specialized for bryce and poser environs..I just found it a few days ago and it's a pretty good site from what I've seen so far! You can post what you have (picture) for all to see and perhaps it will make it a little easier to help ya out.

Forum ScreenName Mystik271 Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

Thanks, I went there. It's btw, so no one gets that broken link. Here's what I'm doing:
laser.jpg

Have you tried altering the angle of your light or view? It almost looks like the light isn't high enough, or the camera angle is obscuring the light that appears broken... Jay [infinity]

Another thing you might try is to turn the volumetric world on. This will definitly slow render tiume, but can also do some handy things with light. Just a shot in the dark really.

=====================
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
Systems Administrator
Assistant Chief of Finance
"The simplest answer is usually the correct one." -Occam's Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back