Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a firewire connection between a Mac and a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonDavis

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
GB
Having some trouble here.

I have;

A G5 powerpc, on which I have configured a firewire connection using ip address 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0 no gateway.

The Mac also has a NIC, with a fixed IP address connected to a cable modem, which works fine.

A Windows XP laptop with a 4 pin ieee1392 port.

I have configured the 1392 connection on the laptop tp use IP 192.168.1.2, mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway.

I have shared a directory on the PC.

The PC has an ethernet connection that is disconnected, but uses DHCP OK, and I don't want to mess about with that.

I have connected the two, but they don't seem interested in taking. I tried using smb to the PC with smb://192.168.1.2/shareddirectory, but I get an error message saying

the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'smb://192.168.1.2/shareddirectory' could not be read or written (error code - 36)

Apples website rather surprisingly describes this error code as 'i/o error (bummers). Hmmm.

I tried ftping to the mac, using ftp://192.168.1.1, and that didn't work - the Mac has ftp running as I use it for a webserver.

Anything I might have missed? - I can do this using an ethernet cable, but it means disconnecting and reconfiguring everything. If I can get the firewire connection working without trashing my network settings, I'd be a happy bunny.

TIA.

Have you enabled Windows sharing in System prefs/sharing? Also check the firewall setting to make sure you have the proper ports open.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Are you using a cross-over cable?

Mike

Unix *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Thanks drlex

Didn't know that.

Mike

Unix *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Simon
Have you tried the steps related here:
?
article said:
1. Make a new network location in System Prefs (Network Port Configurations -> New, FireWire). I called mine "Direct Connection (FireWire)."
2. Set the location to have a manual IP address; I choose 10.0.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.
3. Disable all of the other ports on the Mac; i.e., only have FireWire enabled.
4. Turn on FTP Sharing in the Sharing system pref (in my experience, only this yields reliable, fast transfers).
5. On the PC, right-click on My Network Places, go to Properties, and right-click on LAN and choose Properties. Change the IP address to 10.0.0.2, and the subnet to 255.255.255.0.
6. Connect the two computers via the cable directly.
7. On the PC, open up your FTP client and go to 10.0.0.1/your short username. I suggest using Active mode rather than Passive as the latter always times out.
8. Transfer away!

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back