Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making a file a true csv file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Programmer
Aug 10, 2012
US
Hi guys, I need a little help....

I have a file with columns of data that has varied amounts of spaces and comas in between each column of data. Some of the columns contain no data, just separated by multiple spaces and comas. Other columns do have data that may of may not be separated by multiple spaces or comas.

here's an example

1, 4242, 3.42323e+23, 0.1, 0, 0,5,294875, 8438393, 394,,,,,,,,
,0, ,0,,,, 0.487564, , ,0, 0,0, 87563,,,,,,,,, , 0 ,
,1, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 0, , , , 5,
,1, ,,,,,,5241,,,,, , , 0.4543e-3 , 0 , 111111111,
1, 1000,,,, 9576336e+10, 0.1, 0, 0, ,,, , 8438393, 001,

if I (by hand) delete all the spaces, and replace all occurrences of multiple comas (two or more) with a single coma, then all the columns line up correctly (I haven't gone through and counted up the spaces and comas in the above example) and I have row column data that looks like:

rc11,rc12,rc13,rc14,rc15, etc.
rc21,rc22,rc23,rc24,rc25, etc.
rc31,rc32,rc33,rc34,rc35, etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

thanks soooo much, Tabitha

This would do the equivalent of what you are doing by hand:

Code:
sed 's/ //g;s/,,*/,/g' inputfile.csv >outputfile.csv

The first search-and-replace replaces any space with nothing; the second one replaces a comma followed by any number of commas with a single comma.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

yep, it's actually very easy in sed, I should have thought of that

in the outputfile that I get, some of the lines begin with a , and some don't. obviouswly this makes manipulating the data by columns tricky. so I added another sed search-and-replace statement that would delete a coma if it was at the beginning of a line:

Code:
 sed 's/ //g;s/,,*/,/g;s/^,//g' inputfile.csv > outputfile.csv

and that worked perfectly! note, use a carrot in the third statement, using a \ will delete all comas which doesn't make for a csv file.

Tabitha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back