Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a domain user a member of a workstation local admin group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Score1000

Technical User
May 20, 2003
IR
hi all

I want to make a domain user a member of a workstation local admin group but it fails! a client should have compile some .net application on IIS on a machine and he can do it when he is a member of admin group, but in "Add to group" I see just the name of the station and I can not choose a domain user, any ideas?

Also sometimes some clients can not access some others in the network! like station 2 can see station 4,5,6 but 9, anybody knows why?

See thread:

thread96-581777

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I dont get it. Log on as local admin, go to start, control panel, users and passwords. click "add" input username and domain it will ask if you want to set permissions. Chose "administrator". Now the domain user has local admin rights.

Try start>settings>control panel>users and passwords. You should see any domain accounts there. Don't use computer management's users and groups.
You'll need local administrator rights to add another local administrator... meaning you may have to log onto the local machine as administrator rather than logging into the domain.

If you are logged into the domain, one of the menus for adding users has the local computer listed at the top. Check to see if there is a drop down arrow to the right where you can select the source (your domain rather than the local computer). You still need local administrator rights to add local administrators.

With windows 2000 I have made users local administrators while being logged onto their machine as domain administrator.
This is how I did it:- Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Groups - Administrators - Add - From the drop down list choose the domain the user is on - choose user name - click add - Ok - Apply and hey presto the user is now an administrator on the local machine.
I have done this procedure several times and it has never failed me yet

[2thumbsup]

:((( you see what's my problem? it exactly works with old XP computers, just as simply as you said above, but about new stations which I have installed XP recently on them, it doesn't work with this error when I write the username and press ok: the domain either does not exist or couldn't be contacted!!

please please help me because there are several .NET developers in my domain who need to work with their local IIS and it is not possible untill they become at least a member of their local administrator group. now I have to add all of them to the domain admin group, extremely silly but I have to. God help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back