Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a CD Dupicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

raaudia4

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
US
I have a mother board that will accept 8 devices. Is it possible for me to make a CD duplicator with this and besides the cd burner what else would I need?

what exactly do you mean? with just a CD burner, you can copy CDs. so in my books, thats a CD duplicator.

I doubt you would have sucess with eight mixed i/o burners, buss speed would become a major problem fast. Better to obtain an "off-line" duplicator controller, for ide i've seen these at less than $300.

what is a "off-line" duplicator controller? Also I in making my cd duplicator I would use the same model cd burners and not mix match brands and speeds

One of the major problems (bottlenecks)you will face is the speed the CPU and drive can send data to the writers.

I believe the speed of the cpu and the speed of the burners would counteract each other and move at a slow slow pace or will just halt on you. If you do this it is very wise to use an offline duplicator. Check Tigerdirect or Computergeeks for one. If in California check a Fry's Electronics Store. Best offer I can give ya.

peyton94

This is a disk controller problem. With the right hardware and the right software you can generate 16 copies in under 5 minutes plus load and unload time.

You might want to look for a software package "disk juggler" and for a multi-channel SCSI controller.

I have a customer that duplicates for software houses. He paid 16K for the system. Got a case built like a "brick outhouse", a power supply that dims the lights in Atlanta when he turns it on, Plextor SCSI R/Ws, and a multi channel SCSI controller I have never seen anywhere else. But it was available at a couple of the national parts houses for around $300.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back