Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a 600 page book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2006
NZ
Greetings,
I've just picked up a copy of PageMaker and have started trying to make some sense of how to use it... Basically, I've got a giant word file of information which I'd like to put into a two column book (roughly 600 pages long) but I cant work out how to copy it into PageMaker. I was hoping that like in MS-Word or Open Office it was possible just to set up a page with two columns, copy the text in, and the other several hundred pages would automatically be generated in the same format - but that doesn't seem to happen, even if I've got the autoflow feature ticked.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance...

I was hoping that it was possible just to set up a page with two columns, copy the text in,
The technique is to create a suitable master page (with columns, &c), and then use File -> Place to import the text. The windows clipboard is not recommended for such tasks.

However, I would recommend against a single 600 page publication with a single text block even though PM can handle it. With such a long publication, you will encounter almost constant re-composition as it will occur every time you edit anything, and the risk of corruption will increase.

A better practice is to break the "book" into "chapters" (e.g. 10 chapters of 60 pages, each a separate PM file), and then use the "Book" utility to combine the chapters at printing time.

Make backup copies as you progress.

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back