Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make your VM box an auto attendant

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaveyPhones

Technical User
Dec 5, 2003
US
This is what I do so people can find me. In fact my boss liked my idea so much he had me set up everyone in the IT department the same way.
The directions I outline below are not at all exhaustive. I just hit the highlights and will not go into all the details. Those ideas can be tossed around later.
In AUDIX - Make your VM box an auto-attendant.
Page 2 under PERMISSIONS: Type: auto-attendant
On page 3 make
Button 1 your extension. ex 1262, the treatment should be "guest-greeting"
Button 2 is an xported extension that will cover to the cell phone. More on that later. Treatment type "transfer"
Button 3 for a pager
Button 4 for for the IT HelpDesk
Button 5 to reach me at home
Button to repeat the greeting
Button 0 to the switchboard (attd)ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS! LEAVE THE CALLER A WAY TO GET TO A LIVE HUMAN BEING!
Timeout to guest-greeting.

Back to the xported extension. In the PBX, I use a 2500 set. I suppose you could/should set up a alias. Make this ext cover to a unique coverage path. We'll call it 301. Cov p 301 has 1 ring and Point 1 is r1. r = remote coverage table, 1 = the first place you can program a number. r2 would represent the next place you can program a number and so on. (Cov path 302 would point to r2) At the command line "change coverage remote" or "cha cov r" and type in the number you want the caller to be transfered to when they make an entry. Be sure to put a 9 in front of it. Like this 01: 98809010. Of course your switch (COR or COS, I can never remember which it is) will need to be set to allow a transfer to an outside line. I'm sure someone can chime in on this procedure.

I have discovered that the auto attendant feature will not work until a personal greeting is recorded. The systems greeting is not enough.

Use your imagination. The caller can transfer to all kinds of stuff. Maybe a box that provides your fax number and email address ect. Overhead paging? Provide the caller a way to transfer to a hunt group, the guy in the cube next to you or even your boss (with his or her permission of course). The point is to lead the way in not "hiding behind voice mail" and making ourselves, as IT professionals, more productive, and available at all times. It's also another way to show how the very expensive PBX our companies invested in can help them do more than just get dial tone.
Thank God we don't have to work on a platform/operating system like MicroSoft. I feel so sorry for the computer dweebs around here.

Richard

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back