Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make XP Home join a Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,

I have a legacy Home box that I need to join a domain so I dont have to use Dropbox anymore to share files. I have already disabled Simple File Sharing and attempted to share a folder over the network but with no luck. If I can get this into the Domain, I can just set up a folder on the server to handle the shared docs.

I saw this:
But the download link is busted. Does anyone have this file or know another way to do what it is saying?

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

has links to mirrors still carrying the program and a legitimate public serial key

However I don't think it quite does what you are hoping it does.

DrBob, as you already have found that XP Home just does not play well with domains, there is a trick (X-Setup does exactly the same as the below registry change)...

first of all create a local user with the same credentials as the one on the domain...

then navigate to the following registry key:

Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

there add the following (if they are not already present) or change them accordingly:

"AutoAdminLogon" set to "1"
"DefaultUserName" with the "username"
"DefaultPassword" with the "password"
"DefaultDomainName" obviously with the "domainname"

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks guys for the info, I will give the reg addition a shot first and see if it does in fact allow it to join up. I read something on that but thought it had to be paired with X-Setup.

Not sure why they ever installed Home on anything here but if and when this machine dies, at least Pro if not 7 will be going on its replacement. I wont have access to the machine again for a while but will update with what did work and if there were any stumbles.

Thanks again, you guys are as usual a life saver.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

>Not sure why they ever installed Home on anything here

Probably as a false economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back