Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make records rise to the top - sorting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmaves

Programmer
Jun 20, 2002
US
I'm trying to get a sub group of records to display first before the rest of the group.

For example, I make a selection of real estate properties and the result is 22 records. The records are ordered by 'price'. Two of these records, which belong to a partcular agent, I want to have show up above the others. There is a column in the real estate property table that holds the agent's id so I know what two records belong to this agent.

It's been suggested that I try the following but the CASE segment is causing a syntax error. Is it possible to make this work or is there a better way to approach this?

SELECT idx_res.*, CASE WHEN idx_res.agent_id = 1897 THEN 0 ELSE 1 END AS orderfield
FROM idx_res
WHERE idx_res.area = 'DSE'
ORDER BY orderfield, price

Are you saying the given select doesn't work? It looks like it should.

However, remember that you don't need to select the field you are ordering by, so try this:

Code:
SELECT   *
FROM     idx_res
WHERE    idx_res.area = 'DSE'
ORDER BY CASE WHEN idx_res.agent_id = 1897 THEN 0 ELSE 1 END, price

I do something similar in one of my applications and it works fine.

Couldn't you simplify your SELECT statement as follows:

[tt]
SELECT *
FROM idx_res
WHERE area = 'DSE' AND
agent_id = 1897
ORDER BY price
[/tt]

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
A pirate walks into a bar with a huge ship's steering wheel down his pants.
The bartender asks, "Are you aware that you have a steering wheel down your pants?"
The pirate replies, "Arrrrr! It's driving me nuts!

Eric's solution worked great! I just needed to move the CASE from the SELECT to ORDER BY.

Thanks Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back