Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make "last know good config" "the normal startup config"

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepc

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a customer that can not boot their server normally. It gets up to applying computer settings then just reboots. However, they can boot it successfully using last know good config.

Unfortuantely we do not know the cause of the issue. In the interest of time I was wondering if there a way to just make the "last known good config" the "normal config".

I know in XP they have system restore.

Hi,

The Registry stuff (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet) gets written to following a successful logon. Windows keeps a number of copies of the Reg Keys - Current, Backup, etc...

So, if you make a change and the Server won't boot correctly, you can use Last Known Good to revert the registry changes (force windows to boot from the Keys prior to the 'change' you made (obviously the 'change' has limitations - usually drivers, stuff like that - delete a system file and you're stuffed).

If you reboot and choose Last Known Good and it logs on fine, logging off should save this (now working) CurrentControlSet part of the registry, and allow the server to boot up normally using the same config - so it should work.

If you're logging on after booting with Last Known Good (you HAVE to log on for the reg keys to be re-written), then rebooting and it fails to boot unless you choose Last Known Good, then something odd is happening... in which case without further investigation, I can't answer.

So:
1) Boot with Last Known Good
2) LOG ON
3) shutdown (with a graceful shutdown)
4) reboot normally
5) it should work...

Cheers, Mark

Yeah I have to keep choosing last know good config.

I had a customer that deleted some files on the C partition because he wanted to free up disk space. He doesn't remember what he deleted but some items were from the all users folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back