Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make Output More Readable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeak

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
How do I change the way Oracle outputs information. My tables are not readable. How do I change the spacing and pagesize?

Thanks!

Jeak,

When you say, &quot;How do I change the way Oracle outputs information?&quot;, I presume you mean within SQL*Plus. When you are in SQL*Plus, we typically rely upon SQL*Plus (versus SQL) to do formatting enhancements such as spacing flourishes. To change pagesize (which means number of output lines before another page break occurs), you can say, &quot;SQL> set pagesize <some_number>&quot;. If you &quot;set pagesize 0&quot;, that means do not display column headings or break pages.

When you ask, &quot;How do I change spacing...?&quot;, I need a few more clues. What kinds of spacing changes do you want. And when you say, &quot;My tables are not readable,&quot; what is it about their appearance that does not look good? Is there so much data on a line that it wraps around and its appearance becomes confusing? When that is the case, I use as script that prints out columns of table information vertically instead of horizontally. If that solves your problem, please advise here and I'll post my &quot;VSelect&quot; (&quot;Vertical Select&quot; script.)

Dave

Hi,
In general it will work best to use some report writing tool to view data from Oracle..The ability to format the output just using SqlPlus is limited and can be tedious..

There are many good reporting packages out there, or you can use something like Access with a link to your Oracle tables.
If you plan to do a lot of reporting, not just viewing the occasional output set, then investigate this type of solution.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back