Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

make my job easier, plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMO6

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
US
I need to collect system info for all of our computers (ie processor speed). Is there a way I can utilize our existing network and Windows 2000 servers to collect this info? I really dont want to sit at every machine and record it by hand.

What good is technology unless technology works FOR US?

Sincerely,

SMO6 (Smaug)

SMS can do that for you.

There are also tools that can be used from the Resource kit. With some creative batch file scripting, and output parsing, I'm sure you could come up with some very usefull info about each machine.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

I't may be possible to write a script to grab the system information and make it write it to a database or something, ie, record the ip address and any relevant information. I have done this for our unix machines but not for windows but i bet with a scripting language (asp, php) you might be able to grab the system info although this may take longer depending on how many machines you have.

All our windows servers are rackmounted so connecting monitors and keyboards to each of them would be a nightmare. We sometimes use a utility called sisoft sandra which tells you lots of useful info about the system, ie cpu speed, motherboard make and model, memory type (pc100, ddr etc) and even cpu temperatures and fan speeds (useful for rackmounted stuff when you're away from it).

do a search for sisoft on google and you should find it quickly enough.

you could load the setup file onto a network server and run it on each machine remotely with something like pc anywhere.

Hope this helps

Rob

If you don't want to go through all the hassle you can try SiteKeeper, this software will allow you to do inventory on hardware, software and license. Do a search on google, download the trial and try it.

You can use the network version of Aida32 ( to produce a database log of installed apps and system specifications. This is free software, but you will need to register it (Free also) to use on your server to search all workstations.

This info you can thank Jrbarnet another member of Tek-Tips.

bob

Why not use an addon on your loginscript? Personally I use Kix and it has LOADS of features for querying hardware AND software on machines that are logging on to your network.

Check out Loads of samples are available and a very active forum is allso available for all possible questions.

You can really be simple and if you don't want to install anything,

Log onto a workstation as a Domain Administrator, create a new shortcut to mmc.exe

Add a snapin for a computer managment, the click for anotehr computer, connect via \\computername

Click System Tools -=> System Info and browse for what you need,

When yer done, you'll one mmc with access to all of the hosts on your network

Good Luck

There is an option already installed that will provide you with what I imagine you are looking for:

Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Managment.
Right click on "Computer Managment (Local)" and select "Connect to another computer".
Choose the machine you would like info from and there ya' go.

FYI, this won't give you IP Addressess, but you can get those from your DNS Server using a "Foward Lookup".

On a different note, there is an awesome program called "Omniquad" which allwoys you to remotely control your users computers inside your LAN or WAN. Not, that I endorse Kazaa, but you can find it there fo free.

Have Fun

Use the MMC shortcut as you can add each machine as a snapin. If you use the built-in Computer Management, it will take a lot more than just adding a snapin for a remote computer to modify it's contents.

Microsoft Management Console, <filename>.msc when saved.

Before you deploy ANY remote management, consult with senior staff as it may be a violation of your security policy. If it's not covered by your security policy, get specific professional remote mgmt or SNMP infrastructure. Do not download some Internet garbage that isn't digitally signted.

Good Luck...

One of the best tool to accomplish the work is called &quot;Hyena&quot;.

You can remotely see it view what remote PC are &quot;made of&quot;. It works wonders for us, check out the free 30 days trial version available for download at:

take care,

Simon

For processor speed I would do the following:
Use dsquery to get a list of all of the machine names in the domain.
Then use a forward loop in combo with processor.vbs(from the resource kit).
ie:
for %i in (list of computer names ie dc1 dc2 file1 )
do (cscript processor.vbs /s %i /o answer.txt)

then you can read through answer.txt and find the processor speed of each machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back