Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make IE not open in WINDOWS adress bars 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigatupp

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
I have a machine my kids use that I want to make it not be able to go online with IE. I would like to make to where the only way they can surf the net is threw there aol software as I have it set up to where it's a bit safer then I know how to do with IE. I have removed links from my kids user name but you can still open any folder and type there goes IE browser. Please help!

trigatupp;

I'm not sure of how to disable IE short of uninstalling it, however you can set restrictions as in AOL.

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Content.

Enable the Content Advisor. Here you can set permissions for Violence, language, nudity, etc. After you have set the permissions/restrictions, Select the General tab, and set a supervisor password.

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

Is your machine a w2k professional machine? If so, you have a couple of different options. The easiest is probably setting file level permissions (NTFS) on IE. Go to your system drive (usually C:\) and then program files. Find the IE folder and within that, find the IE icon. Right click, go to security and either remove the "users" from the list or un-check the "allow" boxes by "Read" and "Read & Execute". This will prevent anyone in the "Users" group from running IE. You can also remove the address bar from IE and lock the toolbars and then create a gpo to prevent users from modifying the toolbars in IE.You go to User configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer>Toolbars. The first option is the easiest and quickest.

That works for IE explower,however that still does not block eveything. As she can make new folder then the adrees bars will be in that new folder.

The only way I can do what I want to do that I know is I have a 4 port dsl router (Linksys) that has a setting under sequrity that blocks all eternet exapty for aol. That would be fine exapt I have 2 computers connected to that Linksys then I can use it. If anoyne else has some tips please let me know.

Remove the address bar from the "View" menu. Then create a Group Policy for the local machine (start>run>mmc). Go to User configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer>Toolbars. Enable the policy "Disable customizing browser toolbars" and no matter which folder the user opens, the address bar is not there and he/she can't add it to the toolbars list. Combine this with removing user permissions from IE and the user shouldn't be able to access the internet other than through AOL software.

Thanks for the above advice. My Daughter can still get online by going to start, search, on internet. Is there a way for me to remove this opthion from search? or a way to make it search only using AOL software ?

Unfortunately, the only way that I've found to prevent searching the internet from the start menu is to remove Search all together. From your mmc, go to User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Start Menu & Taskbar. Set the policy that disables Search on the start menu. However, this will also disable Search from Windows Explorer and you'll not be able to search the computer for files/folders. If I can find a way to remove just "search the internet", I'll let you know.

Ok,
I have removed the search, but you can still get on the net.

She can open a folder then go to View Explower bar then History. Now she clicks on the search link and type A web page will open up.
I have even erased Internet history ect.

I have looked real good with mmc but cant seem to be able to make the that un-acessable. Please help!

I even have tweak installed but did not see any way there to remove the Explower bar Histiry opthion.

Try this, go to Tools> Internet Options> Connections> LAN settngs or Dial-up settings (whichever applies). Tell the browser to use a proxy server and enter a private IP address (such as 10.1.1.1, that doesn't point to a valild proxy server). Now, you've removed the user's permissions from IE, you've removed the search capabilities, and told the browser to go to a proxy server before going to the Internet. Even if the user opens History and tries to search, he/she will see any cached links to web pages but can't get to them since the browser is looking for a proxy server at 10.1.1.1 and of course can't find it. You may even be able to restore the Search menu to the Start menu. Now to keep the user from changing the proxy setting, open your mmc, go to User Cofiguration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Internet Explorer>Internet Control Panel. Enable the policy that disables the connection page and any user in the User group will not be able to remove the proxy settings.

It sounds as if though each time you make a change to try and keep the daughter off the internet, she figures a way around it. Have you thought about asking her how to disable it? She seems quite well versed in getting around your fixes. haha just a joke.
I did not see if you tried to set the controls within inet options. You can set the different levels of access she has within there. If she tries to go somewhere you haven't allowed, it will require a password. You also have the ability to alow the ones you want by either page, or website etc. This works for my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back